Sewing Circle

The first Sewing Circle takes place on the 13th January 2010. Its members are united by the act of sewing where ever in the world they may be.
If we are successful there will be more sewing themes and dates.
If it goes very well there will be an exhibition. And perhaps a book.

Monday, 18 January 2010



By LaWendula, Rostock, Germany. It's called "The seamstress' daughter (is doing it in her own way)".

LaWendula's Story: "Although I am a seamstress' daughter, I wasn't very keen on sewing before. But last year I bought a sewing machine and now I use it in a very creatiave way, sewing papers most of the times. I wanted to use linen and linen fibers, because I love them. There is some kind of purity in it and some kind of quality that I really like. Because I am dealing with fibers in my everyday life, I wanted to put fibers and yarn in my piece. And I love bags and pouches. I love the symbols of hidden secrets and this kind of a-thing-in-a-thing-symbolic, which is true feminine for me. I am the seamstress' daughter, but I do it my way.

"When I'm thinking of you" was the theme. While I was doing this, I was thinking of all my sisters in art, to whom I feel very connected. There is such richness in women's art, I can see it every day in visiting other blogs, there is an ongoing, unfolding culture of the feminine, which is both: old(fashioned) in its vintage style, but also very modern, using high tech for connecting, as the internet is. I strongly belive, that the web is connecting us all, as the word web tells us already. It has something to do with weaving, binding, connecting. It's what our ancestors always did, but on a modern level."

No comments:

Post a Comment